Wednesday, July 13, 2011

the full moon syndrome

Chandra called me this morning. Her car had died. She wondered if I might be able to take her to get a shot that she needed (she's pregnant). We worked out the details and before too long, I was on my way. Immediately, the people driving their cars were doing ignorant things. I said to myself, "it's not a full moon yet... but it sure seems like everyone is driving that way". I took Chandra where she needed to go, and after more odd things happened, mentioned my thought to her. We sort of laughed it off.

I stopped and got gas and paid $3.85. Yesterday, it was $3.58, of course it had gone up. Later, after I dropped Chandra off at her house and passed the same gas station, it was $3.57. Did they raise it just for me?

Then, because this day wasn't full enough, I picked up Molly and we drove out to a pool party. More people driving like they had full moon syndrome (I've blogged about it before, here).

But we made it just fine and had fun. I "won" for getting in the pool first and then was the last one out. I don't know what I won, but I did. Maybe a wimpy polar bear club title...

I took Molly home and, finally, headed home myself. I was almost home, when all of a sudden, without notice a major intersection was closed off. There was a police car, but from what I could see, no accident. It appeared that there were work trucks (like for tree removal or the electric company, we'll go with electric company). That was all I could see. Yellow flashing lights, no firetrucks or ambulances or other flashing lights other than those of the police cars at the small strip of yellow tape telling me that I couldn't proceed.

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Turn around, go through one of the scariest neighborhoods late in the evening, over massive speed humps (as our city likes to call them) and finally get to the street that will get me back to our house. I made it. But the full moon syndrome strikes again (it will be full on the 15th).

No comments:

Post a Comment