Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day two, Bay City

July 26th, Day 2, Bay City

Okay. Last night I slept down in the common area. It was SO much cooler. As in, when I woke up cold and with a leg cramp, I said "thank you God!". Even though it wasn't enough sleep, it was cool, quiet sleep. Glorious sleep.

Today, Tuesday Crew #1 and Crew #2 did rock, paper, scissors to decide who would stay at the site that had all shade, and who would go out and be in the sun all day. My crew won the shade. Then we got to the disability center and followed our "leaders" out to the site. They took us to the shady site first. Now, I'm the only one who has permission (so to speak) to drive Big Red (the church van). So it was either leave my crew at the site while I drove the other crew to theirs or switch sites. Even though rock, paper, scissors had clearly decided this. I think I knew where I was about to spend the day.

So my crew, willingly gave up the shade and we drove out to the sunny site. It was a beautiful day, not a could in the sky, high in the mid-80's with a pleasant breeze. I bought sunscreen and applied it. I encouraged my crew to do the same.

We worked diligently on the wheelchair ramp. However, the "leaders" weren't too willing to give instructions or hand-off tools. So I had to push, encourage and gently force my crew to take charge. And I ended up sitting aside, watching, but not dictating or bossing them around. That is extremely difficult for me.

We broke for lunch and I encouraged everyone to try their hardest to do the work. After lunch and our devotion, we ended up sitting around more than we had before. When I finally gave up and decided to try working, I used the electric drill which had WAY too much power for me to handle, drove the screw so far into the board we barely got it out, and then managed to get a metal shaving sliver. I redeemed myself when I used the saws-all (or reciprocating saw, someone will have to tell me the difference) and notched out the board to go at the top of the corner deck.

We left our site and picked up crew #2. We made it back to the church and then left to take showers at the "Y". But first the girls had a mission. We had to go pick up the cake that I had ordered. Jason's birthday is tomorrow, but we had free night tonight, so it made more sense to have a cake for him tonight. We got the cake, and because we thought ahead we brought a cooler, and the cake went in there. Jason had no idea.

We ate at Rally's. It was delicious. Although Ken and I agree that the fries are best when they're cooked in not-so-fresh oil. We could tell the oil had been recently changed. Oh well, it was still greasy goodness.
.
We went to the Bay City Mall theater to see Harry Potter Part 2. Yes, you may remember reading about that here. We took the youth to go see it. I would say it's tradition but this was the last movie. For now.

We (as in Chandra and I) weren't sure the boys would make it through the movie. Turns out, they were super and the girls, who had a little too much sugar, were the giggly, loud ones. Oh well. They did the best they could. It was still fun.

The only pictures I took today were the ones when we came back to the church to do "devotions" and instead sang happy birthday to Jason and gave him his cake!

1 comment:

  1. Sawzall is a brand name of reciprocating saw made by Milwaukee Tool. The terms have become interchangeable like Kleenex for facial tissue or Band-Aid for elastic bandage. So, All Sawzalls are reciprocating saws, but not all reciprocating saws are sawzalls.
    I am glad you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete