Thursday, July 7, 2011

the microwave


"We gotta install microwave ovens"

Yes. Dire Straits popped into my head this morning as I discovered that our microwave oven was not clean on the inside.

There is a rule in our house that if you're going to microwave anything, please cover it with a lid (that won't melt), a paper towel or wax paper. I follow this rule religiously. It's my rule, I guess I would be the one to follow it. It's my rule because somehow, when other people in our house use the microwave (and I won't point my finger at Bill, on occasion we have company) things don't get covered up and they tend to explode all over the interior of the microwave. Have you ever had that happen?

Have you looked inside your microwave today?

That's not why I created the rule. I created the rule because when said explosion happens, the person who caused the explosion does not clean it up. It's as if the exploded food is invisible to them. Maybe I'm the only one who can see the baked beans all over the inside of the microwave (now I'm pointing a finger). But the large chunk of bean was pretty visible. Okay, okay, to be honest I actually saw the chunk of baked bean last night when I was melting butter for my popcorn (ironically, we do not use the microwave for popcorn). I was too hungry last night to care. So this morning when I went to use the microwave, I decided to see if there was more than just the one crusty baked bean. There was.

With a big sigh, I thought to myself, why can we put a man in space, invent amazing technology like ice makers in the freezer, yet we don't have self-cleaning microwave ovens??? We have self-cleaning ovens. We have microwaves that no longer cause cancer (or melt chocolate bars) when you're standing next to it. Why can't they have a self-cleaning button? It would save our marriage.

This reminds me of the Cosby episode (as far as I can remember) where Sandra and Alvin have moved into their first apartment and Cliff and Clair go visit them. Alvin and Sandra nuke some hot dogs, for dinner, which explode. They explode like I've never seen hot dogs explode. Forget my little bean mess. I think their explosion "did in" the microwave.

________________________________
At some point, go over to the Blah, Blah Blog and see what just happened. Because I blogged this. It's my fault... but I did cover the beans.

3 comments:

  1. this is a rule at our house too! no lid (or cover of some sort) no use of microwave. i do not like cleaning that thing and the less i have to do it, the happier i am :o)

    i just wantched that episode! yes, it was their first appartment and she is prego. it was the episode where Bill and Claire tell them to take their money to get a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same rule, but ended up breaking it myself. Usually, my thinking is that I want to eat my food now, and I'll clean it up when I'm done eating, but then I don't and I don't even think about it until a week later when I use the microwave and everything is crusted onto it. That's when I'm glad we have a cleaning lady once a month, because I CAN wait long enough until she comes to clean it. Patrick NEVER covers anything in the microwave. Ungh

    ReplyDelete
  3. the irony is that Bill works for a janitorial company. He just got finished putting together a slide show of "which is dirtier?" I'm guessing a microwave isn't very high on the clean list. He did not include it in the presentation...

    ReplyDelete