Friday, July 29, 2011

Day four, Bay City

Yes, I did miss blogging yesterday. Thursday, July 28th, Week of Hope, Bay City

First, we had breakfast duty. That meant getting down to the kitchen by 6:30am. We had six volunteers, and two leaders (myself being one of them). Things went smoothly. Other than being awake earlier than "normal".

Crews #1 & #2 went to the Center where we picked up Crew 1.5 and went out to Crew #2's site. We rocked it out in one hour. Then we went over to Crew #1's site and wrapped that up in about a half hour (if that). We went back to the Center to have lunch and our devotion together. Then we finished making the sections for the ramp that will be installed next week at a Habitat House. We loaded the trailer and took it over to the site and unloaded the trailer. Before saying goodbye, we handed over the care cards (watch the video, it's fantastic!) we wrote for Crew 1.5. Harold, Crew #1's leader from the Center looked at me and said, "we've had groups all summer helping us. This one was the best one." He got teary and I got teary. That was so awesome to hear.

We piled back in the van and I shared that with the crews. Then Jason and I treated them to ice cream over at Shamrock. If you're ever in Bay City, go get some ice cream there (the corner of 5th and Jackson...), it's delicious.

We went back to the church. The boys from our youth group went and showered. I happened to be standing next to the red shirts when church maintenance man asked about his ladder. Apparently a crew borrowed it last week. Jenny and Kelsey gave each other the "oops" look and said they knew where it was and they would get it back. I volunteered to drive to get it, because our van was empty. I took Joy and Zoe and we headed over to shower before I ran my errand. I dropped them back off and picked up Kelsey. We got the ladder (which was perfectly fine and even housed a couple of earwigs) and brought it back to the church.

It was tacos for dinner. Mine got a little messy. By a little, I mean a lot. I had way too much liquid cheese, but it was worth it. We (Chandra and I) spent the rest of our free time writing more care cards. They came down at 11:45p and we wanted to get them all written. I made it. With minutes to spare. Batman and Spiderman tore through the hallway ripping the care card envelopes down, stowing them safely until this morning when they were turned over to the youth leaders.

But before our Super Heroes arrived, we had evening program. It was the last time we sat with our crews. We did affirmations and had a great time. Then we had youth group devotions, which despite a few drops of rain was also a fun time.

Lights out was at midnight. Which all of the leaders absolutely adore (note: extreme sarcasm). The kids had way too much sugar all week long and will probably crash for the next two weeks before resuming normal blood sugar levels. (Seriously, their sugar intake was out of control!)

This is why a post didn't get written for Thursday. Not a lot of free time when you're busy writing care cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment