Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday in the 'Vette

Bill saw that there was a classic car show in Sparta today. It was only from 9a-2p. I had errands to run, so I said we could go up there, if he wanted to come with me. We set out around 10:45a. We stopped at a couple of places and ended at the mall. It's Hallmark ornament premiere, so being a fan of Hallmark, I had to stop and pick up my ornaments. Since we were at the mall, Bill asked if I wanted to have lunch at Olga's. We both love Olga's and don't go there often, so I said sure. They have a "new" (as in new to me) menu option that is half an original Olga and fries. I didn't need the fries, but I didn't want an entire gyro. It was just the right amount of food for me.

I digress, I got side tracked by food. It happens.

So we set off for Sparta. We made it by about 1:45p. We drove through town, only to see it was set up for a parade. It's Sparta's Town and Country Days. We did not find (or see for that matter) any classic cars. We parked and walked through town, thinking we might stay and watch the parade. We got some homemade ice cream and surveyed the situation. It was easily 86 degrees by this time. Since everyone in Sparta still smokes (which is so much easier for me to complain about now that Bill is an ex-smoker - seven and a half years smoke-free!), we decided to head back home. While we still could.

We did see four Corvette's parked at the Brann's at 131 and Leonard.

And we are slightly sun-burnt.

The best part will be ending the evening with the fresh corn-on-the-cob I bought at the Farmer's Market yesterday. We'll be having blt's too. My favorite summer dinner. Yum!

(this picture if from last summer, don't worry I'm not that sunburned!)

1 comment:

  1. i am from Sparta! and yes you are right...there a lot of things that are still acceptable in Sparta...that should not be, ha ha. Kay, my daughter, goes to school there and that is where my job was that i just quit. good times. i hated walking through that town...it was soooo boring. i actually grew up in the country...and we went to Rockford a lot for things...so the only reason i know Sparta is because I went to school there. yeah, that was fun, ha ha! missed our walk today...but glad we got to the zoo when we did...TOO HOT!

    ReplyDelete