Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bay City or Bust!

We are praying it's not the bust. For more than one reason.

I'm leaving today with the Jr. High youth group to head out to Bay City, MI for a "Week of Hope". We will be doing some hands-on mission work like working at the Salvation Army and at the Boys and Girls Club. It's not the workcamp/home repair that we did last time we were there, or that the Sr. High do on their workcamp trip. We're getting off easy.

One of the reasons we hope we don't bust, is that Chandra is 7 1/2 months pregnant. We don't want her to bust.

We also don't want any parts on the vans to bust.

And we don't want the trip to be a bust. I am going to say that I am putting a lot of faith (all of it at this point) in God that this trip will change our youth. I have faith that it is going to help them move forward and that they will realize they can live one week without their video games (this is specifically the boys, the girls in this regard are very excited to go).

I hope that I can blog while I'm there. I'm taking my laptop so I can at least write a post for every day. If there is no internet access (we're staying at a church, so wi-fi may not be available) I will either find a Panera or post when I return to civilization. I hope there's wi-fi. I was surprised when they had it in Nashville.

Maybe I need to upgrade my thinking. Which reminds me of my senior year in high school; it was the fall, so it was 1995. The exchange students and I became good friends that year. I remember going to McDonald's with a couple of them and one of them tried to use her credit card to pay for her food. Not every place accepted credit cards at that point in time. And yes, this was Cicero, Indiana (the middle of a corn field according to Bill), but it just wasn't common back then.

Hence my need for an upgrade, because I completely assume that everyone accepts debit/credit cards these days. If they don't, they have HUGE signs on their doors that let you know you need ca$h. Except for the massage therapist I went to last week. She was located inside of a Physical Therapy business which accepted credit cards (according to the stickers on their door). So when I handed her my card, after the massage, I was shocked (and very embarrassed) that she only took cash or checks (don't worry, I put a check in the mail the next day and since she's a part of Bill's BNI group, she knew how to find us).

With all that being said, hopefully you'll get to read about our adventures in Bay City this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment