Friday, July 8, 2011

the negotiator

When I was in college, a movie called "The Negotiator" was made, starring Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey. I saw it, because at the time, Kevin Spacey was the guy. Only because "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" had premiered in Savannah. There was a Red Carpet event and my roommate saved me a seat in the bleachers and we watched all the stars walk in to the Civic Center to see the movie.

Kevin Spacey shook my hand.

I decided I must see every movie that he ever made. That included "The Negotiator" and only a couple others. Thus ended my fanaticism of Kevin Spacey movies.

However, maybe because of the negotiations in the movie; in my french class [in college] I became the Negotiator. If it was a gorgeous, sunny day, none of us wanted to be stuck learning french (especially because we had all taken it in high school, so we weren't learning anything new, plus it wasn't like it was for a Master's degree or anything). We wanted to be outside in the beautiful Savannah spring weather. At some point, I screwed up enough courage to ask the professor if we did this work, could we get out a little early. It worked!

I probably got us out of two or three classes. When you only have a two day a week/ten week class schedule, that is impressive! And I do believe we all aced our final exams en francais (just don't ask me for a french word in a cross-word puzzle, I can remember how to ask what time it is, where is Spot, and how to ask for a coca-cola, but I've forgotten the rest... it was twelve years ago, I'm not using it on a daily basis... maybe this calls for a trip to Quebec).

This is all to say that we are safe. There was a big scare here in our little city of Grand Rapids. You've probably seen it on the news or heard about it by now. The hostages are all safe and the situation is over. Thank you to all of our friends and family who have been worried. We are fine and were fortunate to be no where near the locations (although part of the police chase and open gun fire was right down the street from our church).

"The real lasting victories are those of peace and not of war." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. i took french in high school. in fact, that is where i met Korben's father. yeah, that is another story...but anyway...i don't remember anything from french class as well and i took three years of it! i just wanted to go to france...but that didn't work out so well.

    ReplyDelete