Wednesday, July 20, 2011

God Bless the salsa

I've referenced "God Bless the Chick pea" before. It's from a Friends episode early on when they had a crossover with er docs. Noah Wyle and George Clooney are the guest stars. Monica and Rachel get into a fight. George Clooney's character (I guess it would have been Doug), says to Carter, "God bless the chick pea". They're eating hummus. It's a great line, I use it all the time.

I just made this salsa. And all I have to say is, "God Bless the salsa". Or "God Bless the Tomato". Or, "please God, bless my tomatoes."

So I have a lot to say about the salsa.

It's supposed to sit in the fridge for an hour. You know, let good things happen. Well, if anything better happens while it sits in that fridge, I'm gonna die and go to heaven (because according to Rob Bell, we're all gonna go there, that's another post when I finish the book).

Of course I had to test it and make sure the seasonings were "just right". I added a little more cilantro and garlic (at Bill's request).

IT'S AMAZING!!! As in, this is the best salsa I have ever had. If you like salsa and have always wanted to try making your own, this is a good start. I will attempt to use my own tomatoes if any of them ever ripen. But even if they don't, it's good to know that the San Marzano tomatoes are brilliant in this. That also means I can make it in the winter.

I've not mentioned this before, specifically, but maybe you've picked up on it; I'm not a "semi-homemade" sort of person. Most of what I make is from scratch. While I don't want to go back to the Pioneer Days, and as much as I loathe technology, I enjoy the 21st century. I also feel like we lost something when WWII ended and factories began making everything (I'm talking food here). While I have never been a fan of a certain ground beef in a box meal; I've bought, eaten and cooked my fair share of processed foods. It's convenient.

But it's so much tastier, healthier and fun to make things from scratch. I have a brownie recipe I make from scratch. Better than any box brownie I've ever had. I have a chocolate blueberry cake recipe I make from scratch. Delicious. I've even ventured into fresh pasta.

Yes, I do still like my convenience and don't have the tools to create my own macaroni, so I will buy the canned/frozen options when it's warranted. I also don't have the yard space to grow my own garden. But that's what the Farmer's Market is for!

If you have tried (and maybe failed) making something from scratch, let me know. I am happy to share recipes, secrets, tips and hints. I have some great recipes. I love to share them! Nothing is a secret here.

God Bless the salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment