Thursday, April 7, 2011

my preservation soap box

In my Preservation magazine (January/February 2011) there is an article on the Land Trust for Tennessee. The state of Tennessee has preserved 58,000 acres of land. This was in response to "the explosive growth threatening the state's rich agricultural terrain."

I often wonder what it is that developers think they're doing to "help the good of the community" by developing land. I understand the need for new construction, without it we don't have anything to preserve 50 years from now. I think I'm a pretty "left-wing" preservationist. But when I drive down any given street and see strip mall after abandoned strip mall, I can't help but wonder when does it end?

When do we stop wondering why there is a wild animal problem and leave land alone? Did you know it would be okay to not develop every square inch of the earth?

I watched the PBS special on our National Parks. I cannot recite an iota of information because there was so much of it packed into each episode. But I do know how proud I am to not only be an American, but a Preservationist who cares about recycling, the environment and saving pieces of history.

There are a lot of Preservationists in Grand Rapids. Looking through our Award winner nominees last night it was evident that this city is full of them. Which is why it always makes me wonder what a developer thinks when he drives past an open field...

1 comment:

  1. Amen. But you know we are on the same side of this issue.

    ReplyDelete