Saturday, April 16, 2011

bagels and overnights

It's a good thing I got the z-pak to make me better because today is our Jr. High Overnight. We're going about it differently in that we'll be spending all day today hanging out in two separate groups: boys and girls. The separate groups isn't different, it's the all day part. And then tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll wake up (I always choose to go to bed early) and make breakfast. We'll be having pancakes (my special recipe) and sausages. It's going to be a lot of fun, if not completely exhausting for us adults. But the kids love it, so we love doing it for them. In fact, since the last overnight back in October, they have been begging and pleading for another one.

Pray for our safety, fun, honesty, and that they all find a way to be closer to God even if it's just for a moment.

This is where I struggle with this group. They are very physical (in a violent way) and very rude to each other. We continue to try to teach them it's not okay to treat each other like this, but it's pretty much ingrained into their social behavior. And I'm not just talking about the boys. Our girls are just as physical.

The best part is knowing that we are building a stronger class for next year (no pun intended). The majority are in 7th grade so next year they will be leaders.

Now to change the subject completely: I bought bagels, which I haven't done in a long time. Like at least five years (when we lived in Jersey and bagels were kosher), but we had some cream cheese that I wanted to use, so I bought them. They're good (I admit, no one can make a bagel like they can in NYC or Jersey), just okay, not even as good as the bagels we can get from Doug at West Coast Coffee (downtown GR, on Monroe Center - how's that for free advertising)!

I spread cream cheese on one half but decided to put peanut butter and honey on the other half. I love peanut butter and honey. I've been eating that on toast since I was a little girl. It's just as good on bagels. I had another one this morning. It made me happy and I just wanted to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment