Wednesday, December 15, 2010

“But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people.’” –Luke 2:10

Most people enjoy celebrating their birthday at some point during the year. Then there are those of us who were born in December and January who have to “share” our birthdays with Christmas. I won’t even begin to tell you how many times Christmas cards and birthday cards are lumped into one. There have been many times I have whined, “Why can’t someone see how special my birthday is?” Other people get to have a special day, why does mine have to be lumped together with Christmas for the convenience of others? My mother (whose birthday is at the beginning of January) was wise to this treatment and always made a big deal out of my birthday as well as my sister’s (whose is also in January). This is why I have “issues” when other people don’t give my birthday the same treatment.

When asked what my favorite time of year is, my answer is Christmas, without hesitation. How does that work when my birthday is so often forgotten by friends and family? To me the difference between my birthday and Christmas is the overwhelming news of Christ’s birth. My birthday was worked into the traditions of Christmas and each year I am reminded how Jesus came to give me eternal life as I celebrate being another year older. Maybe I like Christmas a little more because of my birthday. I know I like the decorations, the cookies, the snow, and the presents. And I also like meaning behind all those decorations. But most of all I like knowing that because Jesus came into this world as a human, He loves me and will celebrate with me every day of the year.

So next time you see me, I might just be celebrating my “Happy Unbirthday”. I pray that you remember to celebrate the love of Jesus everyday of the year and not just on the day we celebrate his birth.

*****

This was my devotion for our church Advent book last year. Since it's still the week of my birthday (there goes Bill, rolling his eyes again) I thought I'd share it with you. Especially because I met another December baby (her birthday is Dec. 25th) who shared the same, let's call them concerns. We love our friends and family. But we send you or think of you both at Christmas and your birthday. Why do you insist on combining our birthdays with Christmas? We were still born, and there's still Christmas. It's not our fault, or anyone's for that matter, that our birthdays fall at this hectic gift-giving time of year. I'm not asking for a gift. Just the separate thought of birthday wishes outside of the Christmas card.

With that being said, this year that message seemed to have reached far more people than I ever thought possible. I had A LOT of birthday wishes on facebook. I also received many cards from friends and family. Thank goodness for facebook. I would not remember anyone's birthday if it weren't for that handy reminder. Yes, I'm just as guilty. I can remember my closest friend's birthdays and my immediate family, but outside of that circle it becomes fuzzy. Even our friends children's birthdays, I don't always remember... but when I do, I send a card. And I do not write Merry Christmas inside. Nor do I send a Christmas card with Happy Birthday. Thank you to all of my friends who care enough to send me birthday wishes as well as Christmas wishes! I love you all, and you're the best present a friend could have!!

No comments:

Post a Comment