Friday, December 10, 2010

Finally Finished Friday

The Christmas cards are Finished. They were actually finished and mailed out yesterday. But I'm counting it to fill my post.

The Tree Finally has lights on it, all the way to the top. Read Bill's blog to find out why. I can't bring myself to explain it. He did a much better job.

And FINALLY, I finished reading "Vanity Fair" (you can also read about that in Bill's blog). I checked that book out of the library on November 4th. I just finished it. What you need to understand is that I'm a fast reader. I devoured a Harry Potter book in two days and that was only because I had to work. I enjoy reading a few chapters before I go to sleep at night. I like to snuggle under the down comforter and warm up while reading. I do this every night. I have done this every single night since I checked out that book on November 4th. Plus, I took it with me to New Jersey and read it during the eight hours I was stuck in the Detroit airport and I read it while on all the airplane flights.

*sigh*

You need to understand this book was written in the 1800's and the author, William Makepeace Thackeray was British. He was friends with Dickens. I think I'd rather read Dickens... It was interesting; some of the social commentary was quite dated, while other parts could have easily been written this century. But for the most part it was the language that was outdated. Many words were British English and I just read it until I understood what he was writing. I got the overall story, but there were paragraphs upon paragraphs that could have been omitted. It makes the point of the society which used to exist, but it made "Lord of the Rings", when they're doing nothing but walking through the forest for three quarters of the book, look exciting. Needless to say, I'm done with it. Finally. And, as I pointed out to Bill, it does have a better ending than Harry Potter. By which I mean he wrapped everything up and didn't make it cheesy for the sake of finally reaching the end. If you ever really care to read about the vanities of an 1800's England, by all means I highly recommend this book to you.

Now, to finish decorating the tree and finish the shopping.

2 comments:

  1. I share your sentiments regarding Vanity Fair. It reminds me of Citizen Kane -- at the time, based on the technologies available and the status of other work, it was groundbreaking. Today? Not so much.

    It also reminds me of a friend who told me to read Howard's End because it was the "best book she had ever read." I HATED that book. HATED. I wouldn't wish that book on my worst enemy.

    I highly recommend The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I devoured all 3 books in a week, and read them back to back. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I feel the same way about Nicholas Sparks. I do not find his writing to be fantastic or even half-way decent. I'd rather read Vanity Fair again! I'm so glad someone else has read it.

    The book club I belong to is supposed to read the Hunger Games. I've heard good reviews. I'm going to finish re-reading HP first... I started before I got Vanity Fair. Needless to say, I only got through book 1 before painfully making my way through V.F. so back to that.

    ReplyDelete