Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giving

I was reading an article that was discussing the worst Christmas gifts received. One of the persons interviewed said that the worst gift she had received was a donation to a charity/cause that she did not support.

I disagree with her logic. We often give gifts in family members names to charities/causes that we support. If you don't know the organizations the other supports, wouldn't you rather support one that you do know? Isn't it the thought that counts?

Would you have a problem if someone gave a gift in your name to a cause/organization that you didn't support? I don't think the interviewed person meant a cause that she didn't believe in. I'm understanding it as simply a cause/charity that she personally does not donate to. Don't they all need our support? Especially at Christmas? I'm just wondering what you, dear reader think?!

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you're getting at, but would you donate money to the NRA for your hyper-liberal friend? I think if the thought counts, you would be wont to donate to a charity you know they would appreciate... Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you're saying. Personally I'm thinking of the charities I donate to or would pick to donate to. Salvation Army, Quota, our church, UMCOR, Habitat for Humanity, the Fire Department, Red Cross... those are the ones I was thinking of. Service organizations who help others.

    ReplyDelete