Thursday, August 11, 2011

the "secret" garden


Behind our falling down garage, er glorified potting shed, is a garden. Many of our friends who have visited our house have never seen it, or even realized its existence. The weeds, however, have found it and seem to be trying to take over the world starting back there.

I just spent an hour or so pulling ginormous stalks of something. Not corn. If it were corn, at least I would know what it is. I don't think it's poison ivy either, as it has big singular leaves, not groups of three. I did come across something back there that has five leaves... and it wasn't that kind of weed either.

The trees are pretty intent on reproducing too. We'd have a forest if I weren't ferociously pulling them out by the roots. I've pulled Red Buds, Maples and on rare occasion Walnut.

I would enjoy it more if I could actually see it to enjoy it. I've started transplanting the flowers I want to keep, to new spots in the other flower beds. The Aster has been moved to two spots out front and seems to be thriving. I've moved some Phlox, Black-eyed Susans, and Coneflowers. That leaves Daisies, Lavendar, the Bleeding Heart and the False Indigo. You see, some day (sooner, not later) we will tear down the "potting shed" and rebuild a brand new two-car garage. A garage where we will be able to park two cars inside, at the same time. It will be further back in the yard, as far back as we can go, and that will reduce the garden to nothing.

And I'm okay with that. I want to be able to see the garden and enjoy it. Not wander back there only to find it has been taken over by nature. It'll be better, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment