Tuesday, August 23, 2011

the deep freeze

No, it's not that cold here in Michigan. Yet. It's still August and while our Junes may be colder than we'd like, July and August tend to be the hotter months.

No, I'm talking about a deep freezer. Bill and I discussed purchasing a freezer when we bought our side-by-side fridge. The freezer is more than adequate for our needs. However, after giving it some thought, I realized that I could "put up" a lot more summer veggies and fruits if I had a deep freezer.

My parents have one. My sister has one. My friend Shannon has one. I know they all get tons of use out of them. I know I would too. They're actually not even that expensive. But when it comes to the "wants vs. needs" list, a deep freezer gets pushed to the "wants" list.

In the meantime I dream of all the things I could freeze. Remind me of those things when we do actually purchase a freezer because I'll forget. The minute we bring it home I'll say, "Now what did I want to put in here?" Here's my short list: corn, strawberries, corn, blueberries, corn, meat of all kinds, corn, peas, and corn. I could also start making extra dishes and freezing them. There would be room in the other freezer for things like whipped topping, the ice cream bowl, and whatever else we need.

In the meantime, I'll just keep my summer produce to a minimum and pack the freezer [too] full.

No comments:

Post a Comment