Monday, January 16, 2012

broken

Today is a good day to talk about "broken".

I won't get too deep, my first thought on this topic was of all the things that have broken in our home. Currently at the top of that list is the dryer. It broke the night before we left for vacation. I couldn't blog about it then because Judy had no idea we were going anywhere, let alone that we would show up there.

We've broken our bed twice. And fortunately (or unfortunately, however you want to take it), neither time was because of intimate behavior.

The first time was in our rental in Ocean Grove. I blame the carpet because I was trying to move the bed (it was sitting askew in the bedroom and the type A personality in me wanted it to be straight). The carpet was of poor quality and did not allow for sliding. Therefore the bed frame cracked. It was repaired and made it through two more moves before breaking again. The 2nd time here in Grand Rapids. I was getting ready for bed and had just sat down while I put lotion on my hands. That time the side rail cracked.

So much for good quality furniture.

We repaired it ourselves (and I'm pretty sure I blogged about it).

The washing machine has been repaired.

The windows are broken and are being repaired.

The sliding glass door is broken.

The tv broke (er, exploded is more like it).

My computer died (and was replaced).

The phone broke (and was replaced).

It's like my in-laws said about the washer and dryer they bought. They paid enough for it that it will last three years before they have to buy a new one.

What happened to quality?

Okay, what happened to the original thought of this post?

We as a country are still broken. Celebrating one man is an important step. But when will we heal the wounds that are still being opened. I believe my generation is the beginning of that healing. Of tolerance and of no longer seeing black and white, but finding the gray line. The more education we receive the less likely we are to judge.

Or are we?

Let's just remember this: We are all broken and hurting.

Let's look at each other as humans and not as races, colors or genders.
The greatest commandment is Love.
Let us love.
Let love win.
Love one another.
(yes, this is a mosaic of Rubik's cubes, from Art Prize 2010)

2 comments:

  1. I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Our kitchen sink handle is broken and I've rigged it so it works but we just need a new faucet. The main light switch in our bathroom stopped working, so no lights other than the shower light. And now, I think the furnace isn't turning over properly to turn the heat on. I'm NOT pleased with this situation at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! the brokenness of all our "stuff" is more than just symbolic of the brokenness inside us. i appreciate your focus on the brokenness of racial inequality and discrimination, but it applies to just about every area. we are so broken. and yet....

    and yet, i have experienced a kind of wholeness i can't explain in one who is called 'redeemer,' who claims to take what is broken and make it new! that is the Gospel, in the midst of a world full of broken appliances and even more broken hearts.

    ps. find a new way to break your bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete