Monday, January 30, 2012

the other word

In my post yesterday, I answered the questions that are used by James Lipton on Inside the Actor's Studio. It was a fun post. But it's not easy to answer those questions. The more I thought about them, the more I thought of different answers.

One in particular is question 7, the favorite curse word.

I grew up in a home where cursing wasn't heard, or muttered. In fact once, while I was home from college, I asked my mom, "If hell no is the opposite of heavens yes"? I thought it was a legitimate question. My mother replied with my full name.

I am human and I have picked up and put down dirty words over the years. I've even learned a certain word in several languages.

But recently, I discovered a nonsensical word and I like it. So it's not actually a curse word, but it's fun to say. That's why I didn't use it yesterday.

I didn't realize how much I used it until I heard my mother-in-law use it while we were out there. I guess it's time to go public with it. Maybe it'll become well-known and well-used. If so, please just remember you read it here first.

"oof-duh"

That's the phonetic spelling. I haven't decided if that's how it's spelled or not.

It's good for when you're lifting something heavy. It's good when you smack your leg into the table. It's good when the toast (or coffee-maker) is burning.

Go ahead, use oof-duh today.

No comments:

Post a Comment