Tuesday, February 1, 2011

soups on!

I am going to do my very best to completely ignore the ridiculous-ness of the snow storm that is supposedly headed our way. If you want a good laugh, check out Bill's blog by clicking here.

Instead I'm going to write about the delicious broccoli and cheese soup I made the other day. I finally got around to going through my freezer and writing down everything that is in there in a tiny notebook. I'm sure you would like to know exactly how bored I was that I would find the time to do something like this. Well, I'll explain it like this; I found two bags of frozen broccoli. Neither of which do I remember buying, one was almost gone, the other unopened. This is why I needed to make a list of what is in my freezer. I found a couple of other treats (oh right, we got 8 lbs. of ground beef from Uncle Ed's cow), and then I started thinking of what I could make with these found treasures. I love creamy soups, and have never made broccoli and cheese, so I started with that.

I looked for the "perfect" recipe. I looked through my cookbooks and found three recipes (well technically one was for cauliflower and cheese soup, I figured I could get away with broccoli) but that was it. Out of many cookbooks (I don't know how many I have; two shelves full... I'll have to count and let you know) I had two broccoli soup recipes?! (Right, three if you count the cauliflower one.) Hmm, interesting. And they all sounded bland.

To the internet! I searched the Food Network site first and found a recipe called "Almost Famous Broccoli and Cheddar Soup". I liked the sound of that. I found that I had all the ingredients and made the soup on Sunday. I really liked it. Creamy, rich, smooth (I pureed it), filling and a beautiful shade of green. The best part is now there's only half a bag of broccoli in my freezer!

1 comment: