Tuesday, February 15, 2011

doves

As in birds, cut out of scrapbook paper/card stock, not the Christian Music Awards (sorry, they're really the Gospel Music Awards). There was a request in our Sunday bulletin to sign up to come cut out paper doves from 2:30p-4:30p, patterns provided, today. I didn't sign up the first couple of times it showed up, but this last Sunday I decided I really wanted to know what this was about and help. I can cut paper. My schedule is currently flexible enough that I could take the time to go there today. So I went.

The paper doves are for the banners that will hang at the front of the Sanctuary during Lent. I will have to take the camera to snap a picture once they're up, because if they look half as good as they've been described, they're going to look beautiful!! The banners are one of the first things that I liked when we first started going to First UMC. Let me explain; being the "designer" I am, I enjoy seeing the interior spaces and like it when they're striking. Our church has a very striking interior and that is played off well with the banners. It doesn't hurt that we have a gorgeous Tiffany window above the chancel. You can start to get an idea from the church's website by clicking here. But those photos don't do it justice (especially because there aren't any banners hanging from their spots). That's actually the funny thing about our church, unless you're a professional photographer, photos don't turn out. It can be pretty dark with all the stained glass (even after it was painstakingly restored one piece at a time), but it is amazing to sit and see all the beauty that was built so long ago in 1916. The building is almost 100 years old, but we celebrated the 175th anniversary last year (maybe we're still celebrating...).

Anyway, I've always admired the banners especially as they change with the Sermon Series and the seasons. I'm glad I got to help and can't wait to see the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment