Wednesday, February 23, 2011

more with our children of fur

Bill woke me up this morning and said, "don't move over, but try to sit straight up". Having a strong core from all the yoga I do, I was able to do exactly what he wanted, but knew before I had even opened my eyes what he was talking about. Juliette had placed herself to my right, but nowhere near the edge of the bed. My legs were way over in the middle of the bed leaving Bill with about a third of the bed.

Before you go and feel all sorry for him let me share what happened before I fell asleep last night. He rolled onto his right side (facing me) his right arm fell over and rested on my shoulder while his left arm landed on my hip. I wouldn't normally share anything like this, however we have a "demilitarized zone" in the middle of our bed. He drew the line from the very beginning and if I even have my hair on his side, I am elbowed until I claim all personal belongings and get them back on my side of the bed.

So there I was, pinned by him clearly defying the "zone" and the cat had staked out her claim to my right. I must have slept okay though because I don't remember being uncomfortable. And Bill must not have minded sharing his side since the cat had taken over a fair share of mine.

Then there's Atticus. I sat down to eat my cereal, which Atticus has come to realize that if it's in a bowl it must be something for him (this may have stemmed from the time or two that Bill has let Atticus drink the rest of his milk from his cereal, or maybe from the few times I've let Atticus lick the bowl that my yogurt was in - which by the way is very good for cats). So the minute I sat down on the couch, he climbed right up behind me. I told him to get down, and he did, to the ottoman in front of me. He was pretty cute, he would reach his paw out toward my hand and the bowl. Then he would lick his chops. Then he would let out the quietest mew. And then he would bat his eyes at me. I didn't fall for it, but I did tell him that he was pretty darn cute.

While we're talking about the cats, Juliette has always had a habit of reaching up and tapping our elbows while we sit at the dinner table. Last night Atticus decided he could do this too. The difference is how tall he is. He can stand on his hind legs and he can see over the top of the table. There we were, eating dinner and suddenly Atticus's nose appeared over the edge. Then he tapped Bill. Neither cat is rewarded for this behavior and while I know where the bowl obsession comes from I don't know where the table obsession comes from. We have always made it a point to give them treats away from the table.

Oh well, they're cute and they're ours. So sorry if you come and visit and you get your elbow tapped while sitting at the table. Try being loud, it may scare the cats away. Or it may scare us away in which case we can go out to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment