Friday, January 7, 2011

like the man on the flying trapeze

On the Today show this morning, they started a new segment, "Have You Ever...". Natalie went first and she went to the New York School of Trapeze (here's the link to the video, I hope). As I watched her, I realized if there was one thing I could do, it would be that. I don't want to jump out of an airplane, or hang glide, or climb a mountain. Swinging from the monkey bars was one of my favorite things to do in my childhood. A girl down the street had a swing set with monkey bars and I remember going down there and hanging from them, doing flips and dreaming of being a gymnast. As I got older and my arms got longer, I could swing and skip two bars! I had incredible upper body strength which was probably the combination of the monkey-ing around and playing softball. If and when I hit the ball, it could go pretty far. In fact I pride myself on still being able to shock jocks at church softball. I'll walk up to the plate for the first time and they all move in. Then I swing and hit that ball into the outfield. Next time I'm up to bat, they don't move in. Unfortunately I have great aim and always hit the ball right toward an outfielder. Oh well, at least I can still hit the ball.

Back to the flying trapeze, yes even with my fear of heights (which is really only up on high buildings, bridges or free falling) this doesn't seem to phase me. Probably because the room Natalie was in was pretty cozy. It was New York City after all. It's not like they have room for a football field sized room. It looked more like the size of a basketball court. I think I could handle it either way. It made me realize how much I enjoyed swinging from the monkey bars... and how, if I could, I would want to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment