Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas card etiquette

Why now? Because I just took ours down.

We hang heavy duty ribbon on the door frames into the dining room and kitchen. Then we staple the cards to the ribbon as they come in the mail. Letters only get put in the basket where we keep the stapler (I just thought I'd share in case you need a festive idea).

I also keep track of who we send them to and receive them from. It's really not something I would have probably thought to do if it weren't for my address book. Yes, my address book is from Hallmark and it has a little column along the left hand side of the page for tracking your sent "s" and received "r" cards. It makes sense to me, so I use it. This is where the etiquette comes in.

Do we send one to you every year if you don't send us one? Do we send you one if you have sent one in the past couple of years (but not the most recent year)? There are several people who have never sent us cards, yet we will always send them a card (it's mostly family). Are you trying to tell us something if you don't send a card? 2009 was a difficult year, do we assume you didn't send a card because you didn't send anyone a card? Or are you trying to shorten your list and we got cut? How do we know when to give up and stop sending you a card? We send around ninety cards, so you can see why I am concerned.

If you send us a card, we appreciate it more than you know (or maybe you'll understand a little better after reading this post). Thank you for thinking of us and making the season a little bit happier!

2 comments:

  1. I, too, keep a detailed list of who I've sent cards to each year and who sends one to me in return. This was the first year that I left out those who didn't send me one...mostly because it had been several years of no-shows in a row ; ) I've wondered, though, the last couple of years if I should write my own "here's what I've been up to in 2011" letter. Do people wanna hear about the life of a single chick and her cats? I'm not convinced either way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too are a good writer. You could send one out this year, since it will be a big year. ;) We mostly do it because we've moved all over and it's an easy way to keep people up to date, since we don't have kids and they're not all on facebook...

    ReplyDelete