Wednesday, January 5, 2011

apples & carrots

Strange title for a post, let me explain.

Last year, I decided to try to eat a fruit or veggie a day. Yes, just one. Baby steps. Well it worked. I eat a lot more than just one fruit or veggie a day and it started with apples for lunch. That is one of my favorite things to eat. A Honeycrisp apple with natural peanut butter. It's filling, tasty, crunchy, and sweet all at once. It hits all of my cravings. I also enjoy fresh blueberries and strawberries in my yogurt, but I miss the crunch (hence my need for granola). From spring through early winter, I can have these fruits for my lunch and am quite satisfied. Then comes winter.

The Honeycrisp apples last a long time in my fridge. When I went back to the local apple orchard late this fall, the Honeycrisp season was over. The woman recommended Fuji. They were okay, but not as sweet as my Honeycrisp. After the Fuji were gone, I bought a couple Honeycrisp from the grocery store, knowing they were really from Washington, or somewhere far away. The flavor was completely different. I could tell. Time to look for something new.

I've found a winter alternative. Carrots and hummus. Sure the carrots are also from someplace far away, but at least they're labeled organic and they keep for a long time. I like to buy them as seen in the picture, and cut them up myself. That's how my mom always kept carrots and they have more flavor (in my opinion) than those baby carrots. Add in some hummus (which is at least made in Michigan) and it's just as filling as my apple.

I did freeze some berries, so I'm going to pull those out for some smoothies just to mix it up a bit. I may buy some rice cakes too (the cheesy ones are my favorite). Notice anything about my cravings? I enjoy crunching. I don't know why?

No comments:

Post a Comment