Saturday, January 29, 2011

Friday nights and Saturday mornings

Last night Bill and I went to dinner and a Griffins hockey game with our friends Amy and Adam. We went to San Chez, a local tapas restaurant that is one of many around here that gets as much food locally, and seasonally, as it can. We ate too much, our excuse being that Amy is pregnant and eating for two. We didn't want her to feel awkward, so the rest of us ate more than we needed. Then after calling the loan officer to pay our bill, we headed over to the Van Andel arena to watch the Griffins pull a win out of the behinds. Seriously, I'm pretty sure the local high school teams can play better hockey than they played last night. And all the guys who have been over in Detroit playing for the Wings were back. However they acted as though they had been playing golf, baseball or tennis what with the lack of keeping the stick on the ice. It was amusing and highly shocking when they finally did pull out the win. But we all had fun and I caught a t-shirt. This is important. Last year when they threw the shirts down from above, I stood up to catch it and almost lost my balance. I was wearing my "boots" (chunky heels) and may have had some wine at dinner. If you know me at all, you know balance is not my friend. I fall to some degree at a regular rate of at least once a week. That's another post; for now you just need to know that last night, when they threw the shirts, I was prepared. I had the stance and knew that the shirt would come right at me. And it did! There was no one around with their arms out. It came straight for me and as I reached up for it, no one blocked me. The skies opened (read no out-stretched arms) and like a slow-motion scene from "Miracle on Ice" I caught the free t-shirt. If Sami read my blog, she would be so proud!

Since it is Saturday and we have nothing to do, I'm sitting here listening to NPR's, "Wait, wait. Don't tell me", still in my pj's with no immediate plans to do any sort of work. In fact Bill fixed breakfast. The dishes are still sitting in the kitchen waiting to be washed. They'll just have to wait. I may get around to sewing up some articles of clothing that have been piling up and need attention. But I think I'll wait until the show is over. Maybe. These are the joys of not having children.

No comments:

Post a Comment