Thursday, March 3, 2011

Saving the food world, one kitchen at a time.

I have a meeting tonight and I decided to make a few snacks to take with me. I baked cookies last night and this morning I made walnut & cheese grapes. I know that sounds interesting and it is. It's blue cheese and cream cheese blended with heavy cream. Then you take red seedless grapes and coat them with this cheese mixture. Then you roll them in a walnut/sugar/parsley mixture. It was a sticky mess, but I tried one and they taste really good. They're chilling in the fridge like happy little grapes until my meeting. I think once they're chilled they'll be even better.

What happened when I went to use my brand new food processor was the problem. I dumped the ingredients in, put the lid on, plugged it in (I keep forgetting that part all the times I've used it before and when it doesn't work, I've panicked! Then I realize I haven't plugged it in, this is very important for the next part of my story) and pushed the button.

Nothing happened. I looked at the plug in the outlet to make sure I plugged it in, and there it was. Plugged in. I had used the hand-mixer earlier, so I knew the outlet hadn't tripped. I tried everything. I took the lid off, took the blade out, put the blade back in, put the lid back on. Still nothing. I even unplugged it and moved it to another outlet just to be sure. Nope, nothing.

By this point I'm not very happy. I have to make these stupid grapes for my meeting tonight. With hormonal tears in my eyes; *sigh* I washed the beaters and pulled the hand-mixer back out. I blended it that way. It mostly worked, the blue cheese didn't soften the way it was supposed to so that didn't blend in so much. But I sort of smashed it together and assembled the grapes. As I mentioned I tried one, and it seems to have worked.

Now back to the food processor. There's a 1-800 number on the bottom, so I called it. Sherry (or Sherrie, or Cheri) was very nice. She got the model number and then said let's walk through some troubleshooting. At this point I'm willing to try anything. She tells me to take it all apart. Then she tells me to push this little black button. It works. She tells me to put it all back together. It doesn't work. Start over. Take everything off. Put the base on. Push the part that pushed the little black button. It works. Put the lid on, but take out the plunger part of the lid. I do that and then push the little plunger thingy back in (I can't find the manual to look up what it's actually called, so it's the plunger thingy) and I hear a click. And it works. Ah Ha! I say. My husband washed it last, so I'll blame him!

Now, to any normal person this might sound like I'm saying he is a moron. I am not. I am pointing out that my husband does things like wash the dishes. And he puts them away. And he was kind enough to have washed this the last time I used it. When I told him this, he said, "Good. You'll have to show me how to do it, so I get it right." See, we learn from each other.

At any rate the food processor works. I'll give a big shout out to Cuisinart and their kind, helpful Hotline assistants who know what they're talking about and didn't make me feel like an idiot. They're saving men and women all over the world one kitchen at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment