Sunday, March 27, 2011

F1 2011 season

I'm not a huge sports fan. I like hockey (Go Red Wings!), baseball (Go Cubs!) and football (Go Lions, Colts, and... whoever else I feel like rooting for -never the Cowboys). I like soccer, but never watch it. I like the Olympics which is every two years.

The one thing we don't miss are the Formula One races, aka F1. This is more of a "European" sport [racing] than American. "We Americans" are more in love with Nascar, which frankly I don't understand at all. And yes, I did grow up in Indiana where basketball and racing are religions (separate just like Catholicism and Protestantism).

In college, my good friend Jesse (male) introduced me to F1. Who knew three years later when I met Bill that we would find a common interest in Formula 1. It's not like Indy racing or Nascar in that the circuits are complex, not just four left-hand turns many hundreds of times. F1 has lots of rules (which honestly does make it complicated especially because the Stewards can change the every year -which they do), but there have also been many advances in racing and cars in general due to the technology from F1.

I could go on about the technology, how we saw a race live in Indianapolis and watched one of the cars crash right in front of us, how it's more of a gentleman's race, or how loud it is. But we've recorded the first race of the season (Australia) and it's time to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment