Monday, March 28, 2011

Be a tree

I wrote the following for Ash Wednesday. As I mentioned here, I saved it for another day. Today is that day because I can't think of anything else to blog about... I modified it slightly.

Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent. As United Methodists we are encouraged to give up or do something new for the period of Lent. We're not hard core (like the Catholics), but we do it to remind ourselves of the sacrifice.

In past years I've given up coca-cola, sugar, and coffee (that was before I really started drinking it, not as much of a challenge then as it would be now). I have done Bible studies, prayed for specific time periods, done daily devotionals and more.

This year, I decided to do yoga every day. It's probably not too much of a stretch (ha!) since I already do yoga three times a week. However, since Lent started while we were in Nashville, I realized this could be a bigger challenge then I expect.

I've been thinking all winter that I could do yoga every day, yet I've only managed to do it after our walks. I have found that when I make small goals, I achieve them. I know I can do this, and having the pressure of Lent can't hurt. It may become a habit, or not. Since I started doing yoga four years ago, I have done it off and on. I typically keep at it during the winter, only to get too busy in the summer. Or there was the summer I was a counselor at camp and hurt myself. I didn't do yoga after that for a long time (although it probably would have helped).

So far I have somehow managed to do some form of yoga on the weekdays. I never specifically said whether I would do yoga on Saturdays. So far I'm one for three on Saturdays, but since I didn't specify, I won't be too hard on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment