Wednesday, November 30, 2011

that's it?

Wait? That's it? Today is the end of my year of blogging?! I can't believe it. After a shaky start and questioning why I ever decided to to it, here I sit and write one year later, full of ideas. Wondering what to do next.

A whole year passed. I blogged 364 posts. I missed two days, but blogged extra. I wrote haiku's (both were posted on the 24th of the month...!). I posted pictures. I cooked a lot of meals. I'm not famous. No one called me wanting to make a movie out of this. I averaged forty readers a week (repeats included, thanks Mom, Dad!). I'm a better writer. I traveled to Indiana, Nashville, Chicago, Bay City, Detroit, Savannah, and Dubuque. I walked 167 days since January 1st. I had pink hair.

And here it is. The end of the year.

Or is it?

I've been thinking about continuing. Is it still a challenge if I keep blogging every day?

A habit is supposed to be formed after eighty (or is it ninety?) days.

I think I've made this a habit.

But what if I don't have something to blog about?

Saying something like, "I'm going to blog every day for a decade" just sounds insane. But if I don't do it every day, I know I'll slip back into my old habit of blogging once a month, if that.

My question is, dear readers: do you care enough? Do you want me to keep going?

I have more things to blog about. I've come up with many ideas. Which of course don't include the every day happenings that sometimes pop up. No, not every day is a good day. But it's been fun. At least for me. So, what do you say? Another year?

Editor's note: I took the time to link each word to something that I thought was appropriate. I hope you'll take the time to click each one to see where it takes you!

7 comments:

  1. Consider me vote #2! I love reading your blog, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it keeps us from having to talk at the dinner table so we don't interrupt Brian Williams, (who am I kidding, Pat Sajak, ), than I say do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have found that it doesn't matter how many people are reading. if i am writing because i want a certain number of people to read, then i am writing for the wrong reasons. i have discovered that i NEED to write, for my own rhythm and sanity; for my own ability to make sense of this great big confusingly beautiful mess of a world. if you need to write, write! if not, invest your time in some other way that gives life to you and those around you. but whatever you do, do it fully and abundantly and passionately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found I do enjoy writing. And I really wanted to continue. I was just using the "poll" as an excuse to get some lovely comments. Don't worry. I think I would have kept writing even if no one voiced an opinion and probably even if the opinion had been to stop!

    ReplyDelete