Friday, November 18, 2011

Have A Seat

Perhaps this is something for the Blah, Blah, Blog, but I'm motivated to write about it here... Maybe we'll continue discussion over there. If we do, I'll let you know.

I have found that for whatever reason, people do not sit next to me. I think I blogged about this before regarding church. At any rate, I try not to let it bother me, but it can make one paranoid. Do I smell? No, I showered. Do I look menacing? I hope not. Do I look scary? I don't think so.

But whatever the reason, I find myself sitting in a pew all to myself.

On the other hand, Bill always finds that the person wearing the most perfume with the worst possible scent, is who will sit near him. This is in church, the movie theater, a play. It doesn't matter where, this person will always be the one to sit nearest to Bill.

I bring this up because last night I went to a band concert performed by Hope College students and members of the community in Holland. It was a very nice concert.

I spent the first half of the concert in a pew, all by myself. As I laughed about my common predicament, it dawned on me what happens to Bill. I had to stifle a stronger laugh.

I'll take being alone, thank you very much.

And then a nice older couple sat down near me in the same pew.

I hope I didn't bother them with my crocheting. At least I found out later that Molly's roommate was knitting, so I wasn't being rude (it was a concert, not a play, there wasn't much to see...).

Tonight we're going to see a play. A couple of the high school youth are in it, so we're going to support them.

Will we be alone or smothered by someone's Eau de flowerery scent?

At least I don't wear too much (if any) perfume!

2 comments:

  1. You look too friendly. That's your problem. You look like someone who will talk to the person when they sit down, and they just want to take a load off. Bill? He looks unfriendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, I am that person! Thanks for pointing that out. It makes me feel better ;)

    ReplyDelete