Thursday, September 29, 2011

what is art?

Art Prize 2011 is here. I got to walk around last night checking out a few venues with the young adult group from our church. I love seeing interpretations of what the artists find to be art. There is a little bit of everything. Many are sculptures. Does art have to be a painting? It's all about interpretation and it's all beautiful.

I try to make the composition of the piece, a work of art itself. Sometimes it works, sometimes I need to show scale or can't get a good angle/lighting.

Here are a few photos of a few of the things we saw...

the cut paper is all one piece

I think the flowers were plastic (bottles???) of some kind

bears in the fountain

lumber

This is one of those times the lighting and scale affected my photo. The stanchion in the background gives you an idea of how large this sculpture is. The detail was incredible, she has drops of water on her skin, and there is sand on the other side of the "water".

This is a piece from last year, but you can see a wonky door in the background that is a piece from this year. I was trying to capture a good view of the city.

The old railroad bridge (known as the blue bridge) with monkeys!! (this artist came before the HPC for approval since the bridge is historic)

Rocks form hearts in the river...


Steam Pig's best friend??? I don't know if it's the same artist, but it's cute! (I do not know the people in the photo, they were there and help show scale).

Last year's winner, "Calvary", medium: graphite. Size, big (this is hanging on a wall inside a building and I was about ten feet away from it, this is only half of the mural).

No comments:

Post a Comment