Thursday, September 8, 2011

"A" is for Apple Pie

It doesn't get more American than that. Unless of course you happen to know that today is official start of Pro Football. And I do.

So I made a couple of apple pies. And I'm watching Green Bay play New Orleans. And I'm okay with that.

I finally used the pie "form" roller thingy (I'm sure that's its official name since I'm all about being official today) from Shannon. I know if she's reading this, she just gasped. I know. I'm sorry. You gave it to me for my birthday. I wanted to wait until something was in season (uh, let's see, I could have made pecan pie...). But summer has come and almost gone and I hadn't used them yet. I thought about making a blueberry pie, but for some reason, never bought enough blueberries (I think it takes something like a gallon of blueberries to make pie). Plus I have my chocolate blueberry cake and the blueberry crumb cake which are divine. Apple pie is my favorite (fruit in a pie, pecan takes the cake, er pie, as my favorite).

Unfortunately the pies aren't for us. Our church hosts a week of Family Promise (formerly known as Interfaith Hospitality), which is housing for those who are in between housing. Bill and I helped with this program in our church in Toms River. Yes, that was five + years ago. I've been making dinners for the program here only for the last year or two. Tomorrow night I'm providing dinner.

The menu:
Sloppy Joes ("sloppy joes, slop, sloppy joes" -that was for you Bill) which I'm famous for in the Jr. High youth group circle
Salad
Macaroni and Cheese
And for dessert: Apple pie a la mode

Yup. I went all out. I'm staying to eat with them, and honestly I'm super excited. I think it's a nice, simple meal. It's not too fancy but it's still comfort food. It's not too heavy for a summer time meal (no really, I'm not in denial, it's still summer, read my blog from Labor Day).

What's your ideal comfort food meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment