Tuesday, September 13, 2011

dahlias

I met Heather in Mt. Pleasant. From there we drove over to Midland to check out Dahlia Hill. Pretty much all I can say is wow.

Dahlias are my favorite flower. A few years ago Bill and I went to the Dahlia Show at Meijer Gardens. It was amazing. I had never seen so many flowers, let alone dahlias, all in one room.

Today was like that. Only they were all still alive and in the ground. I very much have my grandfather's blood in me. He loved to take pictures of flowers and so do I. I took 77 photos of dahlias. I have a problem.

Not really. Heather took a lot of photos too. I will only bore you with ten. Ten, that will hopefully give you an idea of what exactly Dahlia Hill looks like (and it's free!). This is near the home of the artist Charles Breed (check the website for more info) so you'll see his studio, art and house in the background of a couple of the photos.

Remember, these are all from my little Sony point-and-shoot camera.

This gives you an idea of the multitude of dahlias with part of a sculpture in the background.


I love the contrast of this one.


Here was a memorial garden showcasing the use of dahlias in a perennial garden.


Sculpture, a pure white dahlia and the beautiful willow in the background.


Looking down the hill.


An up close picture of a full bloom and one about to open.


Rows and rows of dahlias


Here's the sign up at the top of the hill.


The sculpture at the top of the hill in between the memorial gardens where you can have your ashes planted with dahlias (once you've passed away...)

I like the composition of this photo.

I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. This was the perfect time of year to go. If you ever come to visit and want to see this for yourself, let me know. I'd be happy to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment