Monday, February 17, 2014

Bringing home the bacon, and using it all up

If you read my blog yesterday, you saw what I made myself for breakfast. I didn't mention that we had a few slices of thick bacon leftover from our Valentine's dinner risotto.

Since I didn't have big breakfast yesterday, and my breakfast didn't include bacon, I decided to use the bacon tonight. It was either that or freeze it. I thought it might taste good sprinkled over a bowl of tomato soup. It's also one of my favorite pizza toppings. I happened to have a slice of bacon pizza leftover from last week. I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw a few more pieces of bacon on it.

I used the bacon on a small bowl of soup and the slice of pizza.

I was actually surprised that the bacon bits weren't as good as I thought they would be on the tomato soup. Fortunately the grilled cheese croutons (yes, grilled cheese croutons) are holding up just fine and they made the soup.

Okay, so grilled cheese croutons. They are exactly what they sound like. Make grilled cheese the way you normally do, let it cool, then slice it into crouton size pieces. Serve over hot tomato soup.

In the case that you made too many grilled cheese croutons, refrigerate them and when you're ready to use them reheat them in your toaster oven or regular oven. Enjoy.

I started out being thankful for the bacon, but I think I'll end it by being thankful for grilled cheese croutons. Because grilled cheese croutons are so obvious and make the tomato soup world complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment