Friday, February 7, 2014

Baked Oatmeal

I was all set to blog last night. We had run a few errands and when we came home, I finally had time to compose a post.

That's when Bill informed me that our internet was down.

I watched the Olympic Opening Ceremony instead.

I will post this to Friday's date, since I was all set to write it yesterday. Then, I will write another post for today that will post later tonight.

I have been searching for a baked oatmeal recipe. There's this little coffee ship in the town where I grew up that served a baked oatmeal for breakfast. For a few years my family went there to have breakfast (I think) with their Sunday school class. My mom always ordered the baked oatmeal. It always looked good, but I chose the cheese omelet instead.

The coffee shop stopped serving the baked oatmeal.

Recently, for whatever reason, I remembered that baked oatmeal and wanted to find a suitable substitute. I enjoy the homemade granola recipe and my oatmeal cookie recipe is delicious. Why not baked oatmeal?

I searched online and found several recipes. I tried one, it was nothing like I had hoped for.

I sort of gave up the search.

Then, on Thursday morning you'll recall I walked down to a friend's house for our book club, Trina had made a baked oatmeal. I had already had breakfast, but since I had walked through the snow I decided the extra calories wouldn't hurt.

Her baked oatmeal was exactly what I've been looking for! I begged her for the recipe, which she gladly shared. She has modified the original and this is her recipe:

Baked Oatmeal
from Trina Rookus
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk eggs, milk, and butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Pour into a greased 8x8 dish. Bake 40 minutes or until set.

She had yogurt, blueberries and maple syrup for toppings. Really, you can top it with anything. It was so good. I'm excited to make some. Thanks again Trina!

No comments:

Post a Comment