Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Biscuits and sausage gravy, yum!

Dinner tonight was amazing, if I do say so myself. I made this. Here's the picture:

See, we've had some frozen Brussels sprouts in the freezer since Thanksgiving. Bill has been using them little by little (he likes to eat them with his egg white omelette for breakfast). I haven't had the nerve to try said Brussels sprouts (ever), so when I found this recipe, I thought why not?

Bill wasn't sure about the roasted vegetables with biscuits and sausage gravy.

But it worked.

Here are a few changes I made; first, I didn't use baby carrots. I used regular carrots and cut them up.

Now, the next change I made may shock you. You've been warned. I didn't make the biscuits from scratch.

See, I had planned to have this dinner tonight, knowing I would be coming home from work. Yes, all six hours. A few weeks ago I had a coupon for refrigerated biscuits and I bought them. I had initially planned on using them for homemade donuts. Then I planned this dinner and decided I would give myself a break and use the refrigerated biscuits.

It's all about knowing your limits.

Of course I'll try the homemade biscuit recipe next time. Now that I know how delicious this is with refrigerated biscuits.

I'm thankful for Ellen, back at the Hallmark store in Taylor, who taught me how to make homemade sausage gravy.

I thought I blogged about it before, but if I did, I can't find the post. I don't remember the first time I had biscuits and sausage gravy, but I know I liked it. We did not eat this in our house while I was growing up. It became a dish I ordered when we went out for breakfast. One day, at the Hallmark store where I worked after Bill and I were first married, the assistant manager and I were talking. She told me about how easy it was to make sausage gravy. Do tell, I begged. She obliged. I could not believe it was that simple! If you don't know; it's as easy as cooking some pork sausage until it's browned, add several forks full of flour, add milk as you stir until you get the gravy constancy that you desire. Season with a little bit of salt and black pepper. Ta-da! It changed my cooking life. No, seriously. I believe it was the first dish I made without using a recipe (I do not count grilled cheese or fried eggs in that category).

Thank you Ellen!

No comments:

Post a Comment