Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reach out and touch someone

Remember that phrase? I think most of my readers were alive when that was AT&T's slogan. I used that idea for a devotion. But I had more to say that didn't relate to the devotion, so I thought I'd finish my thoughts here.

I'm the person who, if you say let's get together, will not only agree but then call or email you and send you dates. I enjoy spending time with others (and as an extrovert, am renewed by it) and will take the opportunity to do so. I do not ignore your suggestion or blow it off.

I think this has made it so that some of my friends don't feel the need to call me. If I haven't heard from you in awhile, I reach out to make the connection. I don't think that's a bad thing, I just think that's who I am. I love my friends and I care about them. I enjoy talking to them and if that means I'm the one who calls to catch up, then that's how it happens (otherwise, I have a few friends that I would never talk to again).

There is one person who must have a sixth sense. That is Leah. Whenever I think, "gee, I haven't heard from Leah in a long time, I should give her a call" and then I mentally schedule it, she will call me. It happens more times than not. In fact it has happened every time. Now it will never happen again, since I mentioned it here. I don't even know if she reads my blog?

I often wonder if I am like this because we have some [extended] family members who go m.i.a. and we don't hear from them for a long time (this happened when I was younger and still happens now). Then all of a sudden, out of the blue, we get a phone call and it's like nothing happened and three years didn't just go by without talking. I like to keep in touch with people. Family and friends. But I need to face it, I'm better at keeping in touch with my friends than I am my family. And by that I mean my extended family. I love them all. Why is it that I don't keep in touch with them?

Maybe because when I send a letter or call, it's not returned. And just like RSVP etiquette, I require some acknowledgement that you received my communication.

So reach out and touch someone or at least reach back when they reach out to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment