Tuesday, May 3, 2011

the not so "itsy bitsy spider"

This morning, I was getting ready to go run my weekly errands. Since Bill also had to get ready (this is unusual these days since we both work from home), I took my make-up and went to the powder room (it's located off the kitchen, it sounds much more glorious than it really is).

I have a sixth sense, if you will, when there is a spider nearby. I had that feeling when I went into the powder room. I searched the walls, ceiling and baseboard but saw nothing. I had just reached into my make-up bag to pull out my eyeshadow when something caught my eye.

The spider was crawling on the faucet. I may have screeched. Bill had just stepped into the shower, there was no getting him to take care of this now. It was up to me.

As I looked around for something (anything) with which to kill the spider from a minimum four foot distance, there was nothing. Then I spied the full glass of water Bill had brought down from his nightstand. This will work, I thought.

I grabbed it and dumped it directly on the spider. It washed down into the sink and as the water drained the spider circled around. Go down the drain, I pleaded.

It did not go down the drain. Nor did it drown. That spider must be related to the one the song was written about, because he climbed back up the water spout. Then he climbed into the overflow drain. He is not the cute spider as drawn in children books of Nursery Rhymes. He's leggy and blonde. Not cute, fuzzy or black.

As far as I know he's still there. The rain does not wash the spider out. And I will never use that bathroom again.

(editor's note: for those of you who think I'm cruel, if I can rescue the bug, I do. I blogged about it somewhere, but can't find the post to link to it. I'll look again later)

2 comments:

  1. Scalding hot water and vinegar down the drain will kill that little bastard dead and good, which is all he deserves! I feel exactly the same way about spiders and I can't rely on Patrick anymore as I discovered that he was merely putting them outside instead of killing them, thus ALLOWING THEM TO COME BACK INTO OUR HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well it's a good thing I didn't find what I was looking for. Most of the time I get Bill to kill the spiders, or I get the vacuum and suck them up. But only after a five-minute "ew gross I have to kill the spider" dance. And some shrieking. Mostly shrieking. The cats are no help.

    ReplyDelete