Monday, May 30, 2011

face full of dirt

It's Memorial Day and we fly our flags and thank those who have served our country (and are serving right now) and we remember those who have left this life, most of us cook out on the back deck, garden and enjoy the unofficial beginning of summer.

Bill and I are no exception. As mentioned, our friend Heather W. comes to visit and we spend the majority of the weekend working in the garden. Yesterday we got rained out, so this morning after pancakes, we headed out to get some trimming done and the rest of the yard work wrapped up. Heather left after lunch and Bill and I still had a smaller pile of mulch to move. I was working in the back along the property line and he was filling in the spot where the swing goes. As I was filling in with mulch I was also pulling out the maple and red bud trees that have sprouted everywhere. One of the maple trees was more of a sapling than just a sprout so I had to get my trowel to remove it. As I was digging, lifting and pulling the roots came loose and I'm not quite sure what exactly happened because I managed to close my eyes as I got a face full of dirt. I shook it off, and walked over to Bill, laughing and asked if I had any bugs on me. He said no and then helped rinse me off.

I'm sure there are worse things than a face full of dirt, and that our veterans and soldiers experience much worse every day of their service. I hope we remember the hard work they do and remember to say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment