Saturday, April 12, 2014

back-up plans

I have had this dinner planned for weeks.

I found a new recipe in a magazine and had ripped it out. I do that often.

I have a problem.

There are pages (and pages) of ripped out magazine recipes in my kitchen.

Back to the recipe for tonight's dinner, it's Posole. I think this is some kind of mexican soup. At least if one judges the soup by its ingredients.

Bill and I had a busy day. We went to the eye doctor so Bill could get new glasses. We cleaned the house and the yard. I did a couple loads of laundry. It was just before five o'clock when I started the Posole.

I pulled everything out of the cupboard, started to heat up the oven for some homemade tortilla chips and read through the recipe.

That's when I saw the words "slow cooker" and "six hours".

Whoops!

If I read through it, it was so long ago that I forgot it went into the slow cooker. I may not have read through it though because it was in a category for weeknight meals and I quickly (unfortunately incorrectly) assumed that meant it would be a "quick" meal to prepare.

It is not. Even if I put it in the slow cooker on high, it was still going to take three hours. We do not eat that late.

Instead we had the back-up dinner; mac and cheese with smoked sausage. Thank goodness for the back-up stash of mac and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment