Sunday, May 27, 2012

things that go bump in the night

Last night Heather went to bed first. A little while later I decided to turn in. So I headed upstairs.

I didn't turn on the hallway light.

I don't like to turn on the overhead light in our bedroom, I like to turn on the bedside lamps. They're a softer light when getting ready to go to bed. The overhead light is so glaring. It's good for the morning, when you're trying to wake up. But at night, you don't need that bright light to jar your senses. You need the soft light. At least that's how I feel and so I typically walk around the bed to my side and turn on my lamp.

Last night was no different, except I didn't have the hall light to guide me. I was being very careful. I have a habit of miscalculating the end of the bed and running right into the foot-board. This causes a lot of bruises. So last night, I took that into account. I avoided this incident by using my hand to feel along to find the end. I walked around it and followed it to my side.

I was home-free.

And as I high-tailed it to my lamp, I crashed right into the tote that Bill had brought down from the attic. I had asked him to. It has my summer clothes in it. It had been sitting there all day. I had walked by it, gotten into it and for all intents and purposes knew it was there. Until the moment I forgot, which was in the pitch-black of our bedroom.

My second toe from the little toe (my ring toe?) took the brunt of the blow. How? I'll never know. But it did. My knee also took a bit of a hit and I managed to skin it, like I was a seven year old all over again. 

Remember Heather sleeping in the room next door?

I did and it was all I could do to not scream out in pain. I loudly whispered a few choice phrases, one of which included the oldie but goodie, "Ow".

Bill told me later it was all he could do to not laugh out loud because he knew something happened, and my reaction was entertaining, but he didn't want to wake up Heather either.

We're nice that way.

Today my toe feels fine. I think I'll live.

As for the tote? It was moved out of the way until I can switch clothes. It's safe, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment