Thursday, May 10, 2012

mini Italian subs

Sandwiches.

They're Joey's favorite food (from "Friends" in case anyone reading this didn't watch the show).

It's National Sandwich Week May 16th-22nd. I blogged about it last year. I made a different sandwich for each day. (I think. I don't remember. You can fact check me. I was going to fact check myself until I realized how convoluted this new setup is.)

I'm planning to do that again this year (make a different sandwich each day, not fact check myself).

Without meaning to; today I found a new sandwich that will be on my list to make again.

It's called a mini Italian sub. It used the fresh focaccia bread (actually they were rolls, if you can call a 7" diameter hunk of bread a "roll" which you can because it could literally roll) that I picked up at the bakery yesterday. I fried up some bacon. Then I made egg crepes.

I had never made an egg crepe before. It was a lot like an omelette, but not. It called for two tablespoons of heavy cream to be scrambled in the bowl with the eggs (three eggs, in case you're interested in trying this). I poured a quarter of the egg mixture into a medium-hot, buttered, non-stick skillet; gave it a swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and then covered it with a lid for 1 min. 30 seconds. When I took off the lid I don't know what I expected. What I found was a poufy egg crepe. That's the best way for me to describe it. It was thin, light, and fluffy.

I set it aside and made two more.

I cut open the rolls and toasted them (on the frying pan, not in the toaster oven; I only wanted one side to be toasted, not both sides), then spread pesto on both halves. On went the egg crepe, sliced turkey, provolone, bacon and the top of the roll. I cut them into quarters.

It was a really good sandwich. I can't wait to have them again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment