Tuesday, May 15, 2012

the grass is greener...

We love our house. We bought it for many reasons. One of the perks was (and still is) the landscaping.

There's a lovely flower bed that lines the front of the house. It starts at the driveway and wraps around to the other side of the house and stops at the corner. That side of the house (the non-driveway side) used to be covered in ivy. Bill pulled that out when we discovered it had grown through the foundation and was in the basement.

There was also a peach tree on that side of the house. But we pulled that out too. We really are tree hugging type people (okay, me more so than Bill, I recycle everything), but the peach tree had to go because it was diseased.

Where the ivy had grown, I transplanted grass. Then, with Heather W's help, I made a flower bed. I lined it with rocks. The rest of the landscaping, that existed when we bought the house, is lined with bricks. It's very pretty. 

I should stop writing these on my laptop because all of my photos are on my desktop.

Back to the bricks. 

The grass I transplanted came from between these bricks. Boy does that grass grow. Currently the flower beds are being taken over by rogue grass. The grass just grows right over the bricks like they're not even there. Every year it's a summer-long battle to keep it looking nice.

Bill takes great pride in our lawn and it's somewhat of a neighborhood "fight" over who has the best lawn. We have Jerry, the retired military man who spends hours (I'm not exaggerating) upon hours blowing every single leaf off his lawn. He also takes great care in creating the "great divide". You know the large gap between where the lawn ends and the sidewalk begins. Children have fallen in there never to be seen again.

We have Scott, who just decided to start something.

Poor Justin bought the house next door not realizing what was going on, and has joined in.

Glenn across the street has tried valiantly, but they're moving and they have a dog, so he's given up the fight.


So it's my gardening duty (hehe, duty) to keep the grass where it belongs. 


I should buy a hoe. That would probably help. Instead I kneel down and pull out the grass with my hand spade. I do have to get all the roots. So maybe it's better I do it this way. 


There's just a lot of brick left to clean up. I'll just do it one day at a time. In a month, I'll start all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment