Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wait, stop.

Recently I have noticed that no one seems to want to stop, or wait for that matter, for anything. Specifically when traffic is concerned. We were headed to church last night for the Spiritual Gifts class (I'm teaching, Bill's attending - he wrote a blog about it) and a man crossed the street in front of us with his children in tow, after our light had turned green and no where near the cross walk. (I have way too many things I could say about what he is or isn't teaching his children, you can insert your own thoughts.)

Then, tonight on my way home from my HPC meeting, I was approaching a stoplight and the traffic on the other side of it was backing up. I did what I was taught to do, and did NOT block the intersection. The car behind me nearly ran into me, swerved around me, gave me the universal, "what are you doing?" and then proceeded through the intersection, getting back over in my lane, thus blocking the intersection. I can't say I was too happy about that. I mean, really? You are in that big of a hurry? On top of it, they completely ran the red light through the next intersection. They must have been very important and in a very big hurry. I got stuck at both lights and politely waited my turn in both cases.

So what happened to waiting? Everything you need to know you did learn in Kindergarten. Wait in line. How difficult is that? If you are constantly in a state of hurry, then maybe you need to leave the house earlier. And yes, I realize that circumstances may have been such that this person was important and in a big hurry. But it does not make me happy that my life is in danger because of someone else.

In high school, I once got a ride home with the woman who lived across the street from us, who was a teacher's aid. In the short ride home, someone whipped around her in the 45 mph section. I have not forgotten her response which was, "I don't know why they're in such a hurry, they're just going to get stuck at the light in front of us." And they did. I admit I have been that person, going around someone only to be right in front of them at the light. All I can say is that at least I can go the speed limit (because they are often going below the speed limit. Which is Murphy's Law. If I'm going the speed limit, the person behind me wants to go faster, but when I want to go the speed limit, the person in front of me is going slower).

It doesn't matter whether it's driving, or walking across the street, can we please try to slow it down, perhaps wait our turn and teach our children it's okay to be patient???

No comments:

Post a Comment