Sunday, June 5, 2011

sunset Sundays

It's the season for open houses. This year is the first year we have kids who were in Jr. High youth group when I started. Now I feel old. They're graduating high school and I remember when they were dorky, awkward youth in 7th and 8th grade.

To paraphrase what Bill always says, time marches on. With or without me.

I won't let it pass me by, I just might not remember as much of it. But I will celebrate these moments with the youth. They deserve it. They made it and now they're on to better things. I hope they learned a lot about themselves and continue to learn at least something new every day.

We decided that since we were at an open house halfway to Lake Michigan, that we would just go out there and watch the sunset (since that was something that I have asked to do every summer since we have lived here).


We finally went.


There was not a cloud in the sky. We packed water and popcorn (it is Sunday after all) and had two blankets (one stays in the car, the other was for the beach). We were set.


We forgot it's Michigan and it's still only the beginning of June. Once we got to the graduation party and sat down in the shade it was nice and cool. It was in the 80's (my weather app tells me it was a high of 86) and it felt nice in the shade.



But once we got out to the Lake, it had dropped ten degrees (as it has a tendency to do) and we realized we might not be prepared for this.


We parked the car and walked into town. We weren't planning on eating anywhere and since the only thing open on a Sunday in Grand Haven are the restaurants we walked back to the car to get our stuff to go sit on the beach.













It was about 7:30pm at this point and the sun doesn't set until 9:20pm we still had time to wait (not waste). I had taken pictures on the walk, so I handed the camera to Bill and he took some pictures.































And then it happened. We saw the clouds rolling in. The rest of the entire sky was still bright and vivid blue, but in the sun's direct sunset path there were clouds. It was still beautiful and the sailboat helped capture the moment.



Needless to say, we did not stay. By this point it was much cooler and we were ready to come home. We'll try again in August when it's warmer...

1 comment:

  1. But the drives out and back were nice and we saw some beautiful cars, dogs and people. It was a nice day.
    The nice thing about sunsets? There will be more. And they are all perfect.

    ReplyDelete