Friday, June 24, 2011

Behind closed doors

Nancy came and helped me reorganize the kitchen. I had tried, but had failed. Things had been moved around and it just wasn't working. Having someone here to help me would do the trick.

We started by taking everything out of the cupboards and putting it in the dining room. Then I had the job of going through and finding the things that we don't use more than twice a year.

Then, in her infinite wisdom (and love of organization) Nancy asked me what I wanted to accomplish. Each space had its own problems, so it became easier to point things out as we went. We ripped out the old contact paper and cleaned out the cabinets. Then we put contact paper back in, only to run out after one cupboard. Time for a list! Then it was off to the store.

We ran to Target first. We bought a container for the stuff that will go in the basement (look out Bill! That's our next project, organizing the basement), and we bought contact paper. The contact paper is polka dots, not white like what is in the cabinets, but it's better than nothing. We also found little dividers to go in the smallest drawer (it's only eleven inches wide, so most regular drawer storage pieces are wider.

Then we ran to Bed, Bath and Beyond for a shelf thingy (really, that's what it's called) and the door thingy (hey, we were on a roll). We not only found both of those, but we also found white contact paper. I will return the polka dots.

We came home and had lunch because it was already 1:30p! Then while I washed a couple of important dishes that would need homes, Nancy put in the contact paper. Then we started filling the cupboards. We started with the big stuff and worked our way down to the miscellaneous items. By the end we had an entire shelf left! Don't worry, we filled it.

What you won't see is the result of our work. It's all behind closed doors. However, if you come and visit me, I may show off what's inside because it's so much better.

Editor's note: this picture is from last year, but it was the best picture I had of our cupboards and it shows my distress about how the cupboards used to look (really, it has nothing to do with the sink full of dishes. I promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment