Saturday, June 4, 2011

pork, potatoes, beef, salad and ice cream

Last night for dinner we had grilled pork tenderloin and french fries. Then we watched "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" before bed (it's a very bad habit of ours) and saw a new way to make a salad dressing. They smoked the tomatoes and onions before adding them to a food processor with mayo and some spices (it was a bbq episode, Mmmm bbq). That sounded simple enough, we just don't have a smoker. So Bill and I discussed what we would have for dinner tonight and it included a salad with this new dressing. And a side of beef.

So while Bill grilled the beef and a red onion, I pulled out some frozen tomatoes and put them in a sauce pan to simmer. Once the water had boiled off, for the most part, I pulled them off the heat. The onion (we only used half of one) was done and had been cooling on the counter. I put all of this in the food processor with an eyeball measurement of mayo (probably about half a cup, I didn't skimp), some garlic cloves, ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Next time I think I would let the tomatoes cool longer (but the beef was done, so time was not on my side) and use fresh tomatoes and maybe grill the garlic, but even so this dressing was delicious. As in, we dipped the beef in it too (this was the last of the grass-fed cow raised by my uncle).

Conference is over. We ended with an ice cream social, which meant the local ice cream manufacturer (Hudsonville) came with a truck and we each got our own pint!!! I was thrilled! A lovely way to end the Conference. That will go on my evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment