Wednesday, June 15, 2011

basil for the pesto

I made Pasta with Pesto Cream sauce for dinner Monday night. I'm just now blogging about it. Not because it wasn't good, oh no. It was delicious. And it was just as good when we ate the leftovers last night. We didn't reheat them. We ate it cold like a pasta salad. Amazing.

If you look at the recipe, please note that I left out the pine nuts. Truthfully, I'm not a fan of them in my pesto. I don't mind the nutty flavor, but I do prefer the earthy, basic flavor when pesto is sans pine nuts.

I used the basil that we are growing. We have a planter (as seen here in the photo) and I bought the basil and dill. I added a petunia for color.

Today, you can't even tell that I cut 3/4 cup of basil off the plant. It's happy. I'm happy. Bill was impressed. Now we have to find a use for the dill. I think I read something somewhere about dill butter. That sounds yummy. Or dill cream cheese. Awesome.

Try the pesto dish. It's perfect for summer.

2 comments:

  1. An excellent use for dill is in salad dressings! Also, I love white wine and dill chicken. All I do is put 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a baking dish, coat in white wine and sprinkle chopped dill (about 1T per chicken breast) on top. Bake at375 for about 45 minutes, until cooked all the way through. Its an excellent and quick chicken dish. Also, I have to admit, a little bit of dill with roasted potatoes is also great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds divine. I am trying that next week (grocery shopping day is Tuesday)! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete