Thursday, June 2, 2011

Please listen carefully

The title has two meanings.

The first one has to do with calling people and leaving messages. Someone called our house today and left a message. We don't know who they were and the person they told to call them back doesn't have this phone number. I'm fairly certain our message (which is currently my voice) says our number. And Bill and I have discussed people with fat fingers who don't even realize they dialed the wrong number. So the person just didn't listen. I always listen and I also panic when it's the generic automated message. Did I get the number right? Is this who I am trying to call? Often, I leave a message that goes like this, "Hello, this message is for ___..." Just to make sure that the message gets passed along. Instead of having a rogue child (or spouse) delete the message because they do not know who I am. Hey, it has happened.

The second meaning has to do with the theme at the United Methodist Church West Michigan Annual Conference. I am a last minute stand-in for a long-time church member and Conference attendee. His wife has been diagnosed with cancer and has started treatment. They made the decision to move into the local UMC retirement housing (a townhouse), and moving day was the first day of Conference. I have attended Conference before, so when I was asked if I could take his place, I had no qualms about my decision.

I digress, the theme at Conference today was "Listen".

I thought it was pretty funny that when I got home and listened to the answering machine, the message was from someone who didn't listen to our message.

I have some pretty interesting facts about our West Michigan Conference, but I think I'll save them all for one post, a post-Conference... post.

2 comments:

  1. The woman who had my cell phone number before me (as in, 2 years before me), has apparently skipped out on all sorts of bills. The creditors were caling me non-stop, and I finally got rid of most of them. Except for 1, who told me that I was actually this woman, and/or her friend or family member, and that I was hiding this woman from their inquiring phone calls and that they were going to call me non-stop until I paid her debt. I was like, you do whatever you want, bub....I'm going to not answer and just delete the messages without listening to them. But I got a kick out of being told I was hiding some person to avoid whatever debt it was that she owed. My ultimate point is, for some callers, it just doesn't matter what the message says....they're going to keep calling you because that's the number they have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I don't change phone numbers serially, but for work I have gotten 3 or 4 in the last 5 years. I always get the number for the former pimp/latin drug dealer/bill skipper.
    The first few months of having a new number are always an adventure.

    ReplyDelete