Tuesday, June 28, 2011

finally, my summary of Conference (really, it's not boring)

For those of you who read my blog and weren't in our church on Sunday; this is the "report" I gave summing up the 2011 West Michigan Annual Conference:

"I had the privilege and honor of filling in last minute at this year’s West Michigan Annual Conference. Our church was represented by many people in many different capacities, including pastors, retired pastors and the other laity members; Carol Ann and Nagnon.

You can find all the reports, assignments and other business online at the Conference website, or talk to one of us. The Weekly Pulse from June 7th included pertinent information as well. But I want to focus on the overall Conference, not the nitty gritty details that we sat through.

The theme of Conference was “Take My Hand” and there was a daily theme to reiterate our purpose. See, Listen, Stretch and Touch. We had outstanding speakers, both from within our own Conference and from as far away as Texas, Germany and even Africa.

The one thing that I believe God has put on my heart to share with you is this: I have a voice. My generation and younger has a voice. But we aren’t going to change anything if we don’t speak up. We have to use the voice that God has given us.

What we might not see here is the decline in the church. No one can pinpoint why, at a time when Christianity is on the rise, are our numbers in this denomination declining. It is my hope, using my voice that we are working toward a change by talking to one another. We must use those daily themes of seeing what is going on around us, listening to those around us, stretching our minds and hearts to both listen and see what is going on around us and then to reach out and touch those around us.

There was a short video that we saw during Conference. It was put together by the U.M. Board of Global Ministries in partner with the U.M.W. You can find it online at MinistryWITH.org. I encourage you to find it and watch it. Again, the website is MinistryWITH.org. Go ahead write it down. MinistryWITH.org. It encourages us to help. Not “for” or “to” anyone, but with everyone. Whomever we are helping, be it the poor, needy, homeless, unemployed, widowed, orphaned, lonely, the list goes on and on. It’s not about writing a check. It’s about being with them, knowing their name, knowing their story and hearing their voice.

Together, as a community sharing the love that Jesus taught, we can make a difference. Right here in Grand Rapids, throughout West Michigan and throughout the world.

Thank you for giving the three of us the opportunity to represent this church at Annual Conference and allowing me to share what I learned there. Praise God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment