Thursday, July 5, 2012

A"salt"ting the kitchen

We use a pepper grinder.

Last year it broke, so for Christmas Bill replaced it. The pepper grinder he bought came with a salt grinder too.

Apparently the manufacturer's want you to buy a new salt grinder each time you use all the salt, because finding extra coarse salt to fill the grinder proved difficult.

After shopping at several stores with failed attempts, we finally tried the spice shop a friend had recommended (which by the way, you can purchase sea salt, and coarse sea salt at any grocery store, but neither of these are really designed for salt grinders). I had already given up and purchased regular sea salt.

We found exactly what we were looking for at this spice shop. I didn't think it was all that expensive considering I couldn't find "salt for grinding" anywhere else.

When we got home I immediately filled the salt grinder with the new salt. The "old" salt that was in there was relegated to a little screw top container that was a party favor from a wedding.

I think it held M&M's.

It doesn't matter because now it holds sea salt that is too small for grinding but it still perfectly usable as garnish.

I told Bill to use this salt when he could.

Then, Tuesday night, I was making a dry rub for a rib-eye that we were having for dinner. I pulled out the screw-top container because this sea salt would be perfect for this application.

As I was putting the container back into the cupboard, the little screw-top lid wasn't on all the way and as I went to slide it onto the shelf, it fell off backwards landing upside down, lid off, on the edge of the counter, caught between my hand and my hip.

Before I could register what had happened, I picked it up to move it thus sending a cascade of salt pretty much everywhere.

From the counter to the floor was salt. It looked like I was trying to make a little snow scene.

Somehow there was still salt left in the container, although I really don't know how because it certainly looked like a large amount of salt all over the kitchen.
From the other room, Bill asked what happened. I simply said, "go get the vacuum, the dustbuster isn't going to get the job done". He peeked his head through the door, then turned and walked away to grant my request.

In case you are wondering, I threw that salt away.

And that is how you pepper the kitchen with salt.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Okay, I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment